Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lovecraftian

For my birthday this year El Goro sent me some awesome books, one of them being a thick and heavy copy of 'The Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft.'

I read comic books much more than novels because a lot of the times I find it hard to really get into a book and have it keep my attention for long periods of time. Usually Neil Gaiman books are the only ones to do this. And even then I have a bunch of his books that I've never finished. As a kid I had a habit of picking up fantasy books that looked interested but I didn't fully understand the way they were written so I'd leave them for years waiting to be 'smart' enough to read them. I'll usually find a book that sounds interested and leave it by page 4. Its not something I'm proud of but it makes my reading tastes very narrow. I was pleased as punch upon receiving this beautiful book, and excited to finally sample some of Lovecraft's work, but I was also afraid that his writing style might be over my head and harder to enjoy. Luckily I was dead wrong and I found myself pouring over the book on a long road trip. I find his work easy to read and an absolute treat to enjoy.


So here is my first attempt at a worthy offering to his greatness. I say first attempt because there are things I'd like to do differently next time that will prompt me enough to give a portrait of him a second try (Like my failure at typography; at least it looks like the banner is being eaten...) However I still like this one so it will go up today. For those haven't enjoyed the work of H.P. Lovecraft I highly suggest you throw down some dough for this book. Especially if you find yourself enjoying lots of 'Chuthulu' type things. It's good to know the source material.

Also if you haven't yet be sure to check out El Goro's podcast today where he reviews "The Bat" starring Vincent Price!

And yes those are Elder God Putti.

No comments: