Saturday, May 8, 2010

Jar Paintings

I'm almost done with a big paper I have to write for my painting class and while going through my studies I decided to scan the paper paintings I've done for my final series project for the end of my class.

These are oil paintings on gessoed drawing/watercolor paper. They are done from photos I took of jars of colored water with different lighting situations. The whole purpose of these was to learn to paint light.




The photo for this one was blurry but I think it gave it an abstract quality.


This one had red and blue light in the photo that gave the jar a mish-mash of blue, red and purple light.

These last two are my favorites of the paper paintings.

I like that the light is more subtle in this one. It's surrounded by darkness but the light is dimly shining through.


This one is the biggest of this series and my favorite of them. I layered so much paint on to this to get the lighting as close as possible. I think I still ended up making it too dark but honestly I'm glad it, and the others, turned out not to be mirror images of their photo counterparts. Straight up copying photos isn't' much fun, and I learned so much from these. I look forward to painting lots of strange and fun things in the future.

No comments: