Thursday, February 3, 2011

Classwork and Photo Exploring

Hey everyone! Today I bring you a media exercise from my Projects for Illustration class. We basically had to do some experimentation with media by drawing a face. I chose to draw a bald man so I could focus on the shape of the head, even though hair is fun to draw. I found my reference via Coribis and got to work with some brush pen action.

I used the Pocket Pentel Brush Pen so I could get fine detailed lines as well as bold areas of solid black. This was originally just a study but it came out as a nice drawing on its' own. Even my teacher liked it. Which means a lot to me.

But then... my pen ran out of ink. And I had no refills on me (that'll learn me). So I switched to a 0.05 Staedtler Pigment Liner and sketched a bigger drawing of the face, with cross hatching. Needless to say it took the rest of the period to do. And it paid off!



This is the whole page from my sketchbook so you can see the size difference between the sketches. The clown-looking one was me mapping out the planes of the face roughly. As for feedback I got on these, I'm doing well as a draftsman, and I need to keep drawing from life. My teacher said it'll help me with my comics the style I use for them. I agree and I'm glad I'm on the right track.

Now have some photos!

Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.

Cupcakes I made for Sarah's birthday.


Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.

Photos I took at the Honors Studio where I was lurking with a friend, and at my bus stop as the sun was going down. Now that I have batteries again I've started carrying my camera with me just in case I see something worth documenting or capturing. I'm taking a leaf from T.Yate's book with the photo slide shows here. I think it helps to keep larger batches of images organized.

Until next time!

No comments: