Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall 2010 Update

Hey everyone! Now that my work for issue #1 of 'Kale: Lost & Found' is over I can finally get back to school work and preparing for Nekocon. And did I mention midterms this week? Heh, yeah. So before I dive headfirst into studying for midterms I want to share what I've been doing all semester. I'm gonna split this into two blog posts to avoid spamming; one for school work and one for personal art.

+Game Design
For my game design class we're all working on our own video game that we're doing concept art for. Mine is a free roaming mystery where you play a military scout exploring a newly discovered island that your kingdom hopes to conquer. But your team mates go missing and you explore the island to go find them. I'm trying to make the island a character of it's own and eventually create an unsettling environment from the sunny landscapes to the dark underground. I'm also trying out watercolor for the concept art with some colored pencils mixed in. It's good practice but I need to look up tutorials too.





(not complete, I still need to go over it with some colored pencils)






+Senior Portfolio

For this class we have four projects to work on that we get to choose. (We're still on the first one and its' technically midterms so you can tell I'm feeling antsy). Aside from those we've also been working on logos, letterheads, invoices, and now we're starting business cards.



Here is my logo.

As for the 1st project I am redesigning the album art for Blind Guardian's 'At the Edge of Time.' I really don't like the over CGed, and frankly bland feel of the album art so I'm hoping to do something worthy of them. To show just how hard I'm working, here is a collection of thumbnails I've been doing for the project over the last few weeks.




I am SO SICK of thumbnails. But its just as well since I'm now starting the actual project. Here's what I have so far of the pencil drawing. The concept is that I have a Norse goddess of virtue (Snotra) having triumphed over a tyrant ruler. I listened to the album and read the lyrics and one of the reoccurring themes was of a united people overthrowing a ruler or government. I also wanted to keep the subject matter somewhat rooted in fantasy because of Blind Guardian's influences and past album covers.

For the goddess herself there wasn't much I could find in the ways of art for her (as posed to Athena who I didn't' want her to look like). So I researched viking women's clothing and based her clothing on that. My reference before that was a toga-ish robe that I constructed from a bed-sheet and wrapped my room mate up in but that still helped immensely with the draping. I'm finding that the more research you do for something the more rooted in reality it is, and the more real it feels. Its' something I've been told by teachers recently that I need to do more of. I completely agree and now that I'm putting it into practice I'm finding it works ever so nicely!




Stay tuned for my post of personal work! For now I have some homework to do :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could also research the Norse goddess Freya. That might be helpful.