Thursday, September 9, 2010

Show and Tell

Before I set down to do some work today (school and comic related) I thought I would post some things that I've found lately that I find very inspiring and enjoyable. I'd like to start with 'Set to Sea' by Drew Weing.

I cant' remember how I found this web page but I'm very glad I did. The story is about a large muscular poet who is having some trouble with his writing. He is not doing too great at life and gets 'drafted' onto a ship to work as a sailor. At first glance the style the illustrations are drawn in didn't appeal to me but I was sucked into the story and the beautiful ink work. Each page is one illustration which I found interesting and while you can read the full story online, the whole book is published by Fantagraphics Books as a hard cover edition. I will definitely be adding this gem to my collection.

------------
When I work on comics I like to listen to podcasts as I draw or ink. One of my good friends turned me on to a podcast series starring the minds at Penny Arcade and a few guests as they play D&D. I was completely sucked up into the series and was quite sad when the campaign ended at series 3. I am even re-listening to it. You can find it here. Another thing I like about it is that each 'episode' comes with illustrations and captions showing what happened in that game.

------------
Manly Men doing Manly Things. Very entertaining comic featuring gags about very manly characters from various media (and pokemon) doing manly things. Updates on Mondays.


Now I go draw comics.
Enjoy <3

No comments: