Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fools Never Die

Hey guys, here is that post I promised you! Here's what we've got:

+Gifts
My fiance and our best friend Ian's birthdays land on the same day so I was set to prepare a pair of gifts for them. They are both writers so I thought I'd customize a journal for each of them.

Here's Ryan's:

It features his 'Or Maybe Not' persona, writing more scrips for the comic. Which I will work on... I swear!

And Ian's journal:

It's a metaphorical portrait of a character of his from a story we are working on. I used colored pencil, ink and white gel pen for both journals.

While working on both journals I sketched out thumbnails trying to figure out what I wanted to draw on them and how. I ended up with a few sketches as a result of this that I ended up liking on their own.





+Pen Tests

During my weekly movie night with my friends I also did some inking pen tests.

This one is of Theolyn from my Alencia stories. I used a new ballpoint pen I picked up earlier this week. It's nice to work with but it does not take to pencil very well. This will probably stay a sketching pen.

I also did some brush pen tests to show myself that if I did Alencia's stories inked with a brush pen how it would look. Here's what I came up with.


Next I will do some actual comic pages inked with brush pen for a final test. I am pleased with the look so far. I can get lots of detail, line weight variation and contrast. (And that little rabbit at the bottom is Reach's rabbit Clover.)

I didn't want to stretch this page too long so I'll be posting the best of my latest Dr. Sketchy's sketches later. Also, if I can't think of blog titles I may just stick to metal song titles from my Pandora station.

Back to work for me!

No comments: