Saturday, November 13, 2010

For my senior portfolio class I've been working on a fake cover for Cereal:Geek magazine. Its' a magazine that specializes in animation from the 1980s. The theme for my fake issue is Girl's Cartoons of the 1980's. I was a child of the 90's, while I was exposed to 80's cartoons I still missed out on a lot of them that my friends who have lived in the US their whole lives grew up with.
For this project I did some research to find the most popular and well loved girl's toons of that era. I found Rainbow Bright, She-Ra, Lady Lovely Locks, and JEM. I LOVE JEM. I had heard of her but never seen the show before. After some searching on YouTube my room mate and I watched a playlist of Jem 'music videos' from the show. I love the animation, and the styling, and the music is actually really fun. I wish I could have dressed up as Jem for Halloween. Maybe next year... I also added toons from my own childhood in My Little Pony, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, and Bianca from Beverly Hills Teens. (I enjoyed that last show more than I should have :P)
I ran through some scenarios for the cover including a slumber party, arm wrestling, and a reunion. I decided to go with the reunion scenario and try to portray the characters as if they and aged since the 80's.

Here is my value study, line work, and the finished cover.




I had fun doing this, but I'm also glad its' done :P My mom caught a mistake on it and I thought I'd have to start over part of it but I was able to fix it.

Now I'm off to have dinner. Have a good weekend everyone!
I'll have a new illustration to share when I get back!

No comments: